The Lawyers Assistance Program of British Columbia is hiring a Counsellor to work full-time with lawyers, their families and staff in the field of counselling assistance. Candidates must have practiced as a lawyer, and have experience as a counsellor. Preference given to registered counsellors, psychologists or social workers. Candidates must possess empathy, excellent communication and other counselling skills, coupled with a willingness and desire to further their education and personal growth.
The candidate must:
- have empathy;
- be a good listener;
- be able to keep all clientele information confidential;
- have excellent communication skills;
- counselling and/or peer counselling skills with a preference to those with experience with impaired professionals;
- possess a willingness and desire to learn about lawyer well-being and how to be a helpful resource; and
- be a public speaker or workshop facilitator.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES of Lawyer Counsellor:
- Report and be responsible to the Executive Director;
- Provide such assistance and support to the Executive Director as required;
- Act as the initial contact for intake;
- Be accessible to all members of the legal community (lawyers, judges, law students, legal staff) seeking assistance;
- Meet with and provide support, education, referral or counselling to members seeking assistance;
- Research and have familiarity with referral resources such as individual health care providers (physicians, counsellors, therapists, etc.) and treatment programs available to assist in the development of a resource listing that is available to members or prospective members needing evaluation, treatment or aftercare;
- Market the Lawyers Assistance Program of BC throughout the province;
- Plan and present educational programs for the legal community, with respect to potential lawyer impairment, as well as treatment and prevention measures;
- Continue with personal and professional, education, training, and development; and
- Adhere to the values and principles of the Lawyers Assistance Program of BC, including confidentiality, personal responsibility, compassion, knowledge, and being present.
To apply for the position, please email email@example.com.